To take neutropenic precautions, you need to understand neutropenia well. Precautions in disease are very important as they can help you avoid your condition from getting worse. With these precautions, you can also avoid the disease. These precautions will increase the pace of recovery of that disease.
Neutropenia is a condition in which the number of neutrophils in your blood is a lot less. This deficiency in the number of neutrophils is known as neutropenia. If you are wondering g what neutrophils are then you must know that it is the type of white blood cells and play its role in the immune system of the body; the main role neutrophils are the protection against the agents like bacteria fungi, etc. so the main role of neutrophils is to fight these infections. It is clearer than in neutropenia; a patient becomes more susceptible to these infections. Usually, causes of neutropenia are
- Use of certain medication
The development of neutropenia after these treatment options is very common, and with chemotherapy, the neutropenia develops in 6 to 12 days. When you have neutropenia, the best you can do is to follow all the neutropenic precautions.
Since when you have neutropenia, you are more susceptible to developing infections. So, following all of the neutropenic precautions in your neutropenia is very important. Usually, when you have neutropenia, you are isolated in your hospital room or house room with all the needed care. When you have neutropenia, your doctor will be notified by your doctor, and you will have to follow all the precautions told to you by your doctor then. But it is important to know some of the precautions by yourself.
Neutropenia isolation is the isolation you are pit into when you have neutropenia. When you have a smaller number of neutrophils, you will be more likely to get even a minor infection. To avoid that problem, the patients are put into protective isolation or neutropenic isolation. In this situation, it is made sure that the patient is living in a completely sterile environment and have lesser contact with other people, and any chance of infection is avoided. The patient is supposed to stay in this isolation until the neutrophil levels have returned to normal.
Guidelines for neutropenic precautions
When a person is placed in neutropenic isolation, it should be made sure that all the neutropenic guidelines are being followed. Following are some of the important guidelines that you need to earn to deal with a neutropenic patient.
- Placing a notice on the door will help people follow all the rules before entering the room of a neutropenic patient. This will also save you from the trouble of explaining the neutropenic situation to very another person. This way, they will also avoid entering the room unless it is really necessary.
- The neutropenic patient also has to be careful about their diet. That is why the meat that is rarely cooked is avoided at all costs by such patients. Anything that is unwashed is also avoided, so there is no risk of infection.
- Reusable devices and equipment that are used by the medical staff are reserved for you alone. That equipment will be left in the room for you and will be used only to avoid any chance of infection that might be there.
- Rectal examinations and enemas are completely avoided in neutropenia. These procedures are extremely sensitive and should never be performed in neutropenia.
- Before entering your room, the medical staff taking care of you should wash their hands properly. Use of hand sanitizer should be frequented more often. Hence, there is no chance that the unhygienic condition will infect a patient. When you have neutropenia, the infection will never get better on its own, and getting rid of such an infection would be a real challenge as well.
Neutropenic precautions for home
When you are isolated in your own home, you will have to follow all the neutropenic precautions. Usually, patients are only allowed to go home when they have mild neutropenia and when the neutrophil levels are getting back to normal. Even then, you have to follow the given neutropenic precautions in our home
- Stay away from the people who have recently been vaccinated. This involves the babies that have recently been vaccinated.
- Don’t do gardening even if you love doing this; this way, you will be exposed to many germs, which you should try to avoid completely when you have neutropenia.
- Avoiding pets is also very important because you never know what type of germs your animal or pet is carrying with them. So, for the time, you have to stay away from them.
- When you are on your period, try using pads instead of tampons. Tampons can often cause toxic shock syndrome, and that can lead to infections as well.
- Having sex is often prohibited, but even if you are allowed to have it, you have to use protection.
- Avoid going to restaurants, cafes, and other public places where there are a lot of people. You won’t know who has an infection or not, and that is why you would be putting yourself at risk for or infection.
- Try to stay as safe as possible and limit your activities. If you get a scratch or cut, it will be infected even more without enough neutrophils to protect you.
- Use sunscreen to avoid sunburn that can also cause skin infections.
- Develop a good oral hygiene routine during this, at least to avoid getting infected by such a small thing.
Food neutropenic precautions
When it comes to the food following are some of the neutropenic precautions you need to follow
- Avoid raw or uncooked meat and food so that the risk of Infection from food is a lot less.
- Keep your food away from uncooked meat as well so the chance of cross-contamination can be reduced.
- Make sure your kitchen is hygienic before cooking the old.
With a lesser number of neutrophils in neutropenia, the chances of infection are high. Following these neutropenic precautions will lessen the chances of infections cause by neutropenia itself.