Stomach conditions can be annoying, and to treat such problems; you have a Kaopectate solution. Stomach issues happen so often that you can’t go to the doctor or visit a hospital every time you feel discomfort in your stomach. That is what these over-the-counter medications are for, so you can get instant or temporary relief from the stomach discomfort that you are going through.
Even though you dint have to see a doctor every time you have a stomach condition doesn’t mean that it’s not hard for patients to tolerate that. So, to treat that kind of inconvenience, you can use any over-the-counter products like Kaopectate. But this medication will help you only to a certain extent. There are some stomach and digestive system-related issues that need professional medical attention.
Kaopectate solution is an over-the-counter product. You can buy it from any pharmacy or medical store without a prescription. Kaopectate solution is used in digestive systems-related issues like nausea, upset stomach, and heartburn. This medicine will help in all these problems by decreasing the movement of the gut. Due to this, the bowel movement will decrease, letting the content stay in your digestive tract for longer and will make your stool less watery. The active ingredient that is present within the Kaopectate solution is the loperamide drug.
Uses of Kaopectate
Following are all the important uses of Kaopectate solution
- Loperamide drugs can also be used in patients who have undergone an ileostomy. That use, in this case, is to decrease the discharge in patients.
- It will decrease gastric motility, and that means it can help with nausea and diarrhea.
- This medicine can also help relieve heartburn in patients.
- Diarrhea in people with inflammatory bowel disease is also treated using a Kaopectate solution.
- These are all the major uses of Kaopectate solution, but this can be used in any digestive system distresses.
How to use Kaopectate
Using Kaopectate is very easy, and all you need to do is follow the necessary direction
- Since Kaopectate is an over-the-counter medication and you have already used it many times before, you still need to read the instructions. These instructions are written on the leaflet that comes with the medicine.
- Kaopectate is an oral medication n and should be taken by mouth only. You should also be using Kaopectate after having a loose stool or as directed by the doctor.
- If you are using the chewable tablet, it should be chewed before swallowing it and taken on an empty stomach.
- Diarrhea can lead to dehydration n, which is why you need to drink plenty of water and take this medication. If you doing increase your fluid intake in diarrhea, then you will end up getting sicker. Using soft foods with lots of minerals and nutrients is needed in your diet as well.
- Suppose the condition doesn’t get better after two days of taking this medication. In that case, you need to inform your doctor about this. You should let your doctor know if the situation worsens and you experience any other harsh symptoms.
- If you were prescribed Kaopectate by your doctor, you need to wait for this medicine to work for ten days. You can inform your doctor about no improvement in your condition after these ten days.
- Kaopectate also comes in rapidly dissolving tablets, and you can take these tablets very easily. You can place this tablet out of the blister pack with dry hands, so it doesn’t dissolve in your hand. Now place it on your tongue and allow it to dissolve with the help of saliva. You vacant now swallow your tablet, and it will provide the main ingredients to your digestive tract.
Side effects of Kaopectate
Following is some of the side effects of Kaopectate medication
- Kaopectate, when given in higher doses, can also end up causing constipation in the patients.
- Dizziness, drowsiness, and tiredness are also caused due to Kaopectate in some cases.
- Suppose you are experiencing side effects like vomiting and abdominal pain with the use of this medication. In that case, you need to stop taking this medication immediately.
- If you have any allergic reaction like rash, itching, and swelling in any part of your body, you should seek medical attention.
Kaopectate for dogs
Just like in human beings, Kaopectate for dogs is used to treat diarrhea and indigestion as well. You shouldn’t be treating your dogs for severe diarrhea with this over-the-counter medication. When it comes to dogs, Kaopectate is different from human beings; the main thing that varies a lot is its dosage. It is important to let your veterinarian decide the dose for your dog. Usually, for the Kaopectate solution, 1.5 to 1 ml per body weight is given to the dog 3 to 4 times a day.
Side effects of Kaopectate for dogs are the same as for human beings. They should be dealt with in the same way. If you see any serious side effects, you should take your doctor to a veterinarian. Drugs that have bismuth salicylate should be avoided in dogs who have stomach ulcers. You should look out for darkness in stools while giving your dog such medication.
Precautions while using this medication
Kaopectate should be used while keeping in mind all the precautions needed. Following is the list of precautions that you should watch out for.
- Suppose you have diarrhea after the use of antibiotics. In that case, you should see a doctor before starting antidiarrheal medications on your own.
- It is better to discuss your medical histories with your doctor or pharmacist before you can start using Kaopectate medication.
- The rapidly absorbing Kaopectate has phenylalanine and aspartame. If you have conditions like phenylketonuria, you should tell your doctor about it so any such product can’t be prescribed.
This is all you need to know about the use of Kaopectate in human beings. The use of Kaopectate for dogs is not a lot different. Still, it is better to have it prescribed by a vet than to face the consequences of taking the wrong medication. The benefits of Kaopectate outweigh the side effects, and you should know when to use Kaopectate and when to seek proper medical attention for your diarrhea.