Lotrisone cream has many uses, which is why keeping it at home can help you get rid of various problems. But knowing its use is also important, so you don’t end up putting it on every wound. This medicine should be used on only specific types of infections, and those are fungal infections. You must be able to distinguish between a fungal and bacterial infection. Usually, when you have a fungal infection, you will have itchiness in that area, and fungal infections spread more easily. Seeing a dermatologist is the best option here, so you know you are using the right treatment.
Lotrisone cream is an antifungal that is used in the treatment of inflamed fungal infections. A fungus causes fungal infection, and sometimes the infection can get so bad that it may cause serious inflammation in that area. So, to target that fungus swell as inflammation, the Lotrisone cream is used. The reason why Lotrisone helps with both is that it contains two ingredients clotrimazole and betamethasone. Clotrimazole is an antifungal drug and is drug works by preventing the growth of fungus in that area.
On the other hand, betamethasone is a corticosteroid. This ingredient works by decreasing the inflammation, pain, and itchiness in that area. So, while you have applied this cream, it will decrease the itchiness and inflammation caused by the fungal infection along with the infection itself.
How to use Lotrisone cream
When you have Lotrisone cream at home, it is very important to know how to use it. The best way to know how to use this Lotrisone cream or any other medication is to read the leaflet that comes along with the medication. This has all the information regarding the use of that medication. That leaflet not only contains all the information regarding the use of medicine but contains all the other necessary information in it. But following are some of the things that you need to know about the use of Lotrisone cream
- Suppose instead of having Lotrisone cream; you have Lotrisone lotion. In that case, you have to make sure that you shake the bottle before using this medication.
- Since this is a topical cream, so it is used only on the skin.
- Before applying this cream, make sure the area is clean and dry. It’s better to wash that area and towel dry it.
- It is better not to rub in that medicine and instead leave it on after the application. Covering the infected side is recommended in some cases with some bandages that your doctor will recommend.
- Wash your hand before applying for this medicine, and make sure to wash them afterward, too.
- It is important not to use this medicine in the nose, mouth, and vaginal area. If you have fungus there, then it is better to get the help of a doctor so a new medication specified for that area can be prescribed to you.
- Suppose you are applying this medick e on your body. In that case, it is important to wear loose-fitting clothing so the medicine won’t be wiped away by your clothes. Also, wear old clothes so don’t end up ruining new ones.
- Your doctor decides the dosage and the length of treatment, so you shouldn’t be using more than that or any less than that. If you discontinue your treatment in between, the fungus will resurface again.
- Usually, the ringworms are prescribed for two weeks, and in the case of athletes’ feet, it is prescribed for four weeks. Using this medication longer than that should only be done when advised by your prescriber.
- Suppose the treatment isn’t working well even after a week. In that case, you need to inform your doctor about it because they might need to add oral antifungal medicines to your treatment regime.
Side effects of Lotrisone cream
Following are some of the side effects that you might end up facing with the use of Lotrisone cream.
- Suppose you feel you are getting skin thinning, discoloration, acne, and stretch marks after using this medicine. In that case, you should tell your doctor about it. These are the side effects of topical steroids and happen only when using the topical steroid for the long term.
- When you are using the medication for longer periods or are using it on larger areas, then the absorption of corticosteroids in the bloodstream will be a lot more. This can cause you problems like blurred vision, fluctuations in weight, tiredness, swelling in your limbs, and increased urination. If you are facing any of this, then you need to tell your doctor right away.
- With topical products like Lotrisone creams, the allergic reactions are not that severe or common but can still happen. Suppose you have increased itchiness, swelling on the site, and irritation in that area. In that case, you need to seek medical attention.
Precautions with use of Lotrisone cream
It is better to be careful while using medicine like Lotrisone cream and the following are all the precautions you need to follow
- You have to tell your doctor about all the drugs you are allergic to, so the doctor doesn’t prescribe you the same medication. It becomes even more important if you have had an allergic reaction to such a drug in the past.
- Suppose you have any circulation or immune system problems or any other disease. In that case, you need to tell your doctor about that.
- You must wash your clothes everyday ad are not wearing the same clothes for more than a day.
- Also, if someone else in your family or close contact has such an infection, you need to get the treatment simultaneously. Otherwise, the chance of transferring the infection to each other is there. Sharing your clothes and shoes is not safe when you are going through a fungal infection.
- It shouldn’t be used during the pregnancy, but when it is really necessary, then it can be used.
Lotrisone cream has great antifungal properties and will provide immediate relief. But if you are not following all the precautions and directions properly, your whole treatment will go to waste, and you will have to start again.