Diclofenac potassium is used for a wide range of purposes. Back pain, muscle aches, dental pain, and sports injuries are very common. This medicine is used to resolve these issues. Diclofenac potassium is also used to alleviate swelling, pain, and joint stiffness due to arthritis. Diclofenac potassium comes in different forms, such as:
- Topical gel
- Oral capsule or tablet.
- Transdermal patch.
- Powdered packs for oral solution.
You can use this medicine in any of the forms mentioned above or as prescribed by your doctor. This medicine will help you to perform your daily life activities without any hindrance.
How To Use This Medicine?
First of all, follow the instructions of your doctor properly. This medicine is available under different brand names, but you should buy what your doctor prescribed. The reason behind this is that different brands include different amounts of medicine, so you should ask your doctor first if you are thinking of using the medicine of another brand.
Focus on the dosage as your doctor prescribed based on your situation. The effectiveness of this medicine is affected by the intake of other medicines. You should tell your doctor about every medicine you are taking, even if it is an herbal drug.
Your doctor will prescribe you the lowest dose and for the shortest period possible to reduce the risk factor. If your doctor asks you to take medicine continuously until your problem is resolved, consult your doctor first when you go for a refill.
Keep in mind that these medicines only work best if you use them as prescribed and take them at the start of your problem. If your condition has already worsened, then the results might not be satisfactory. Here are some instructions that you have to follow when you are taking medicine:
- Try to take medicine with a full glass of water.
- If you notice that your stomach is upset after taking medicine, take it with milk, food, or an antacid.
- Avoid lying for 10 minutes after taking medicine.
This Medicine May Interact With Other Medicines
There are high chances that this medicine will interact with other medicines. Sometimes these interactions can cause worse side effects like bleeding. You should make a list of all the medicines you are taking to tell your doctor.
This medicine increases the risk of bleeding if taken with medicines which also poses the risk of bleeding. These medicines are antiplatelet drugs and blood thinners.
Here is the list of the medicines that can interact with diclofenac potassium:
- ACE inhibitors.
- Water pills.
following are the medicines that are the same as diclofenac potassium and increases the risk factors if taken with it:
- Other pain reducers and fever reducers.
How This Medicine Work?
Diclofenac potassium is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. It works on a specific enzyme and blocks it. When that specific enzyme is blocked, our body stops or decreases the number of inflammatory chemicals in the body. In this way, pain and inflammation are reduced. Sometimes this medicine causes drowsiness, and your doctor will ask you to avoid driving or using any machinery if you are using this medicine. Or you can check if these symptoms do not appear after eating the medicine, then you can eat it while driving.
What Are The Side Effects Of Using This Medicine?
Here are some of the common and rare side effects that are caused by eating diclofenac potassium:
- This medicine can increase your blood pressure. To avoid any serious problems you should keep checking your blood pressure regularly while eating this medicine. If your blood pressure is above normal, then you should go to your doctor.
- If you feel changes in hearing, mood changes, difficulty in swallowing, and any symptoms of heart failure the immediately seek medical assistance. These side effects are not common, but they can occur.
- Other rare side effects that can occur after taking this drug are kidney problems, neck stiffness, and any symptoms of liver damage.
- A serious allergic reaction to this drug is not common, but if any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction occur, then go to the hospital without any delay. Serious allergic reaction symptoms are rash, itching, difficulty in breathing, and severe drowsiness.
- The common side effects that are caused by this medicine are nausea, diarrhea, upset stomach, headache, gas, constipation, dizziness, and drowsiness. All these symptoms are common, and there is nothing to be worried about as they go away after some time. If any of these symptoms persist and worsen, then go to the doctor as soon as possible.
Among all the side effects that are mentioned above, most of them are rare. Remember your doctor recommended this medicine because the benefits of this medicine are more than the side effects for you. So you should not be worried about anything.
What Are The Precautionary Measures?
Here are some precautionary measures that you should take to avoid any serious side effects:
- Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any medicine, especially aspirin and NSAIDs. There are some inactive components in these medicines that can cause problems. Ask your doctor to explain everything in detail.
- Notify your doctor if you have any of the following medical conditions asthma, nasal polyps, heart disease, liver disease, high blood pressure, bleeding or clotting problems, and stomach problems. Describe your medical history to your doctor clearly.
- Your doctor will ask you to drink as much water as you can to prevent dehydration. Diclofenac potassium can lead to dehydration which can cause heart and kidney problems.
- If you are going for surgery, you must inform your doctor if you are taking this medicine.
- If you are consuming alcohol, there can be some serious side effects like bleeding, severe drowsiness, and dizziness. It is best to cut down the amount of alcohol you consume.
- This medicine can increase your sensitivity to the sun, so it is better to lessen the duration that you spend in the sun.
Wrapping It Up
Follow the instructions of your doctor keenly to avoid any serious problems. Remember to tell your doctor about your medical history properly and inform him if you will change your medication.