Mucinex d is used to treat colds and allergies or symptoms of cold and allergies. Cold and allergies can cause discomfort and, and a person needs quick relief from the symptoms. There are two components in Mucinex d guaifenesin and pseudoephedrine. The purpose of guaifenesin is to loosen the mucus in the chest. The goal of pseudoephedrine is to relieve the mucus in the nose. But here is everything you need to know about Mucinex d before using it.
How To Use The Medicine?
Take Mucinex as directed by your doctor, or you can take it two times a day. You should take this medicine after every 12 hours. Do not increase the drug dose by yourself without consulting your doctor, as your dose is according to your age and condition.
Take it with a full glass of water. You can take this medicine with food. Suppose you feel that your stomach is upset after taking medication simply with water. In that case, your doctor will ask you to take medicine with milk or food. Increase the intake of fluids after taking Mucinex d to help the body clear mucus and congestion.
This medicine is in the form of a capsule, so do not crush, chew, or split it. If you crush or chew the capsule, it will simultaneously release all the medicine. This way, the chances of the side effects increases. If there is a split sign on the tablet or your doctor asks you to split, you can break it.
Try not to take the caffeine with Mucinex d as caffeine increases the chances of side effects. Also, avoid consuming beverages that contain caffeine. Suppose you are taking this medicine for more than a week, and your symptoms are not alleviating or worsening. In that case, you should immediately go to your doctor.
Precautions You Should Take
Here are some of the precautions that you should take while taking Mucinex d.
- First of all, you have to tell your doctor about any allergies you have. Especially notify your doctor if you are allergic to guaifenesin and pseudoephedrine or any other similar drug. There are other inactive components in this medicine that can also cause allergic reactions, so you should talk to your doctor about all of them.
- Suppose you are going to undergo any surgery. In that case, you must tell your doctor or dentist about Mucinex d if you are using it.
- Inform your doctor about your medical history if you have a breathing problem, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, glaucoma, hyperthyroidism, and eye problem.
- Mucinex d can cause dizziness, so don’t drive or use any machinery until you think you are good to go. If you are consuming alcohol or cannabis with this drug, then it will make you dizzier. Notify your doctor if you are using alcohol or cannabis before taking this medicine. Limit the amount of alcohol or cannabis you are taking.
- Consult the doctor and take extra precautions if you are going to give this medicine to a child, as kids are more prone to the side effects of this medicine.
- If you are pregnant, then tell you must tell your doctor before taking medicine. Only take this medication if the benefits are more valuable than side effects.
- The breastfeeding mothers should also avoid using this medicine. The component pseudoephedrine passes into the breastmilk and can cause harmful effects on the infant.
Side Effects Of Mucinex D
Here are the side effects that can occur after using Mucinex d.
Side Effects Related To Nervous System
Both the active components guaifenesin and pseudoephedrine affect the nervous system. Here are some of the side effects that are caused by Mucinex d on the nervous system.
- It causes dizziness and drowsiness
- It can cause headaches.
- It causes tremors.
- It can lead to anxiety.
- It can cause lightheadedness and sleep trouble.
Side Effects Related To Cardiovascular System
Here are the side effects of Mucinex d on the cardiovascular system. Side effects related to the cardiovascular system are not typical, and they go away after some time. But if you notice that these side effects persist or increase, then consult your doctor immediately.
- It can increase blood pressure.
- It can increase the heart rate
- A person can also experience a pounding heart rate.
Side Effects Related To Digestive System
Mucinex d rarely causes any side effects on the digestive system. Still, the component pseudoephedrine can cause the following side effects. You can avoid these side effects by taking this medicine with food or milk instead of water.
- It can induce vomiting.
- A person may experience a loss of appetite.
- It can also cause nausea after taking medicine.
Side Effects Related To Allergic Reactions
The allergic reactions that are caused by taking Mucinex D are.
- Skin rash.
This side effect is not something to worry about, and it goes away if you stop taking medicine. You need to see a doctor immediately if you notice that the rash is worsening. There is swelling on your lips and tongue, and you feel difficulty breathing.
Side Effects Of Overusing The Medicine
Here are the side effects of overusing Mucinex d.
The overdose of Mucinex d can cause kidney stones. The symptoms of kidney stones include vomiting, cloudy urine, fever, chills, continuous pain in the back, blood in urine, and difficulty in urinating
The overdose of Mucinex d can also cause brain damage. The symptoms include arm and leg weakness, coordination problems, memory loss, and vision loss.
Other Side Effects Of Overuse
Here are other side effects of overuse of Mucinex d
- A person might experience Hallucinations.
- Heart attack.
- Chest pain.
- Change in heart rhythm
- It can lead to Stroke
- Increase in blood pressure.
- It can cause severe diarrhea.
- Severe vomiting and nausea
- It can also lead to severe stomach pain
If you notice any of the side effects mentioned above, then stop taking medicine immediately and seek medical assistance as soon as possible.
In A Nutshell
It is mandatory to ask your doctor or pharmacist before taking any new medicine. Follow the instructions of the doctor properly to avoid any problem.