Halobetasol propionate is used to treat various skin problems like eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, and rash. It is a high potency corticosteroid used to alleviate the swelling, redness, and itching in skin problems. Here is everything you need to know before using this cream
A patient information leaflet is available with Halobetasol propionate cream. You can know how to use the medicine properly.
You can only use the medicine on the skin and avoid using it on sensitive areas like the underarms, groin, and face. If your doctor prescribes you to apply the cream on the sensitive area, then keenly follow his instructions.
If you have to apply cream near the eye area, then use it cautiously. If this cream gets into the eye, then it can cause serious problems. It can cause an allergic reaction or can also lead to glaucoma. This cream should not be consumed through the mouth or nose.
If you are not using the medicine on your hands, wash your hands immediately after using the medicine anywhere. Avoid touching any area of your face after applying the cream before washing your hands.
You have to apply a thin layer of the cream to the affected area of the skin. Then rub it gently and then leave it as it is. You do not have to cover the area with a bandage. But sometimes, your doctor might ask you to cover the area depending on the condition.
Usually, your doctor will ask you to apply the cream 1 to 2 times a day. It is a high-potency corticosteroid so follow the instructions of your doctor properly. If you want a refill, then you should consult your doctor first to avoid problems.
Interaction With Other Medicine
Halobetasol propionate ointment can interact with different medicines. There are chances that some of the medications that you are taking can interact with the drug. Make a list of all the medications that you are taking and share it with your doctor. You have to include all the medicines, whether they are prescribed, non-prescribed, or herbal.
Keep in mind that your doctor prescribed you this medicine by considering all the facts in view. Do not change the dosage of any drug which you are already taking without asking your doctor. Or do not start taking any new medicine without the consultation of your doctor.
Side Effects Of The Cream
Here are some side effects of the Halobetasol propionate.
- Some of the common side effects of the medicine are dryness, redness, itching, stinging, and burning sensation in the area where you first applied the ointment. Usually, all of these symptoms go away with time. But if you notice that the symptoms do not go away or worsen, consult your doctor as soon as possible.
- It is infrequent that this ointment gets absorbed in the bloodstream and increases the corticosteroid level in your body. The symptoms of this side effect are headaches, weight loss, swelling of feet, increased thirst, extreme tiredness, and problems in seeing. Though this side effect is rare, children and people who use this medicine for the long term are at higher risk.
- After using this medicine, other serious side effects are folliculitis, excessive hair growth, skin discoloration, acne, and stretch marks. Go to your doctor as soon as possible if you see any of these symptoms after using the medicine.
- Serious side effects after using this medicine are not common but seek medical assistance if you notice any. These side effects include trouble breathing, itching, swelling, dizziness, and rash.
- There is also a possibility that your skin infection might get worse after using this medicine. Stop applying ointment and go to your doctor as soon as possible.
Remember that your doctor prescribed you this medicine after seeing both the pros and cons. Indeed the advantages of this medicine are more than the side effects for you. Follow the instructions of your doctor properly.
To avoid any allergic reactions after using the medicine, you should notify your doctor about your allergies. Especially mention if you are allergic to steroids or corticosteroids. There are some inactive components in this medicine, too, that can also cause some allergic reactions. If you have any allergies, then it is best to discuss them with your doctor in detail.
If the affected skin already has any severe infection or soreness, you should ask your doctor before using the medicine. Your body might become less responsive to any physical stress if you use this medicine for a long time or use the medicine on large areas of the skin.
Suppose you are undergoing any medical treatment, surgery, or dental treatment. In that case, you should inform your doctor first that you are using this medicine.
Pregnant should avoid using this medicine as it can get absorbed into the bloodstream. Ask your doctor to inform you about the effects of this medicine if you use it in pregnancy. There is no detailed study about whether breastfeeding women should use this medicine or not.
In children, the use of Halobetasol propionate cream can have a negative impact on growth. It can slow down the development of the children, so visit the doctor regularly to keep track of the effect of the medicine.
This medicine is not safe to use for children under 12.
Overdose Of The Medicine
The symptoms of overdose include trouble breathing and unconsciousness. It can also be seriously harmful if swallowed. Seek medical assistance as soon as possible.
If you visit any doctor, tell him that you are using or have used this medicine. Never share your prescription with any other person. If you face any skin infection later in life, do not use this cream without asking your doctor.
If you have been using this medicine for a long time or using it on large areas of the skin, then go for checkups regularly. If you miss a dose of the medicine, you can use the cream when you remember it. If the time of the next dose is near, then skip that dose.
These super high potency corticosteroids should be used with extreme care. Never ignore the instructions of your doctor, as you might have to face harmful consequences.