BOD stands for borderline personality disorder, and quiet BPD is a mental illness. In borderline personality disorder, mood swings are very often, and changes in behaviors towards a situation or a person can be sudden. A quiet BPD is a disorder in which the person will suppress those emotions instead of acting out because of their feelings. The person who has quiet BPD will direct their emotions towards themselves instead of the others. This is the exact reason why it is so difficult to diagnose quiet BPD.
Quiet BPD is a borderline personality disorder. The person going through this disorder will act instead of acting out. They will themselves be at the receiving end of their emotions. They struggle by themselves and have problems with their self-image. That is why this disorder is not recognized so easily. There are four types of borderline personality disorders mainly, and the following are those four types.
- Petulant borderline
- Self-destructive borderline
- Impulsive borderline
- Discouraged borderline.
The worst things are the quiet BPD because whatever a person is feeling will not be expressed due to this. By keeping everything inside, they will be deteriorating their mental health even more. Given that mental illness is already invisible, it will complicate things a lot more for such a person. the emotions that a person will feel towards themselves are as follows
- Mood swings
- Guilt and self-blame
- Abandonment fear
- Emotional attachment or obsession
Quiet BPD is also referred to as the high-functioning BPD. The term quiet BPD is often misleading, leading people to believe that there are no symptoms of this disorder. There are symptoms of its disorder, but only a person going through this it will know. A person going through this is confused about all these emotions, so they don’t show these emotions, but they are there.
Symptoms of Quiet BPD
Usually, it is very difficult to tell by yourself when a person is going through quiet BPD. But there are some of the symptoms of quiet BOD by the help of which you can tell the presence of quiet BPD. Following is some of those quiet BPD symptoms
- You will notice that you take things personally a lot and have very thin skin.
- You will feel like a burden to others and degrade yourself when you need people.
- You will feel guilt and shame over everything; even feeling the way you are feeling at that time will lead you towards guilt.
- On some occasions, you will feel nothing at all, and you will feel completely numb towards all the emotions
- Social anxiety is quite common, and you will isolate yourself due to this
- You will have self-esteem issues
- Fear of rejection will be there in all relationships
- In every conflict, you will end up blaming yourself for it.
- Withdrawal and not being able to share your emotions when you feel upset.
- You will be in denial that you feel anger.
- You will try to please others even if it is self-deprecating
These are all the symptoms that a person will face when they have quiet BPD. Unfortunately, all these symptoms can be easily hidden, so it’s impossible to know if a person is going through quite BPD or not. Usually, when they have quiet BPD, they will face all these emotions themselves. Still, sometimes a few people may tell if the other person is showing the signs of quiet BPD.
Complications faced by Quiet BPOD
When a person has Quiet BPD, it is not diagnosed easily, so that the situation can worsen. The other complications that the person might end up facing are as follows
- The risk of an increase in mental disorders is quite common because of quiet BPD. The other disorders that a person might face are Substance abuse, generalized anxiety disorder, Eating disorder, Depression, Social anxiety, and bipolar disorder. All these disorders can become an exaggerated form of quiet BPD. Therefore, getting your quiet BPD diagnosed early is very important.
- Suicidal thoughts may a; so be experienced by such person. Dealing with all these emotions by yourself is quite tough, and at times where help is needed, the person keeps getting more and more confused. So suicidal thoughts are very normal. You can call the suicidal helplines in your area if you are going through such emotions; this way, your disorder will be diagnosed as well.
- People who have quiet BPD will find it very hard to or new relationships, in the relationships they already have will get complicated.
- When a person is going through so much emotional stress, they will have problems in their work and daily life. They will be unable to perform normal tasks without getting distracted by their problems. Managing work and home life simultaneously is already challenging enough. Still, when a person faces such mental instability, things can get even worse for them.
Causes of quiet BPD
Finding the case of quiet BPD is very important, and the following are some of the possible causes of quiet BPD.
- Genetics are the obvious cause behind quiet BPD. However, when you have a family history of quiet BPD, you are more likely to have it too.
- Changes in levels of neurotransmitters like serotonin can also b the cause. It is unknown I the change is caused by quiet BPD or the disorder is caused by changes in serotonin level.
- Physical and emotional abuse in childhood can also lead to such a situation. In addition, neglect in childhood can also lead to quiet BPD.
Diagnosis of quiet BPD
It is very tough to diagnose quiet BPD, and it is often confused with social anxiety and depression. Make sure you are going to a qualified psychiatrist that can make a clear diagnosis of quite BPD. This can be easily determined based on the interview that you have with your psychiatrist.
This is all you needed to know about quiet BPD. Unfortunately, this disorder can also become the reason behind other disorders when left untreated. Diagnosing it is difficult, but an early diagnosis is required to prevent escalation.