Neo-synephrine is available in the market, and the active ingredient present within the neo-synephrine is the phenylephrine hydrochloride. Neo-synephrine is available in different dosage forms, either in nasal spray, ophthalmic solution, or many other dosage forms. Each of the dosage forms is prepared specifically according to the mode of administration with each type of mode of administration, there has to be a lot of changes in the formulation, and that is why even though a drug serves many purposes like in this case you should always use the medication for what it is meant for.
Phenylephrine HCL is the active ingredient in neo-synephrine. Phenylephrine belongs to the class of drugs known as alpha-adrenergic receptor stimulators. The alpha-adrenergic receptors are the ones that control the blood pressure as they are present on the vascular smooth muscles. This drug act as a sympathomimetic, and that means it mimics the action of epinephrine. The epinephrine acts on the alpha one receptors, known as alpha-adrenergic receptors, and stimulates the action of these receptors.
Uses of neo synephrine
There are many different uses of neo synephrine. Even though the active ingredient is used for various reasons, but you still should be using the neo synephrine for the purpose it is formulated for. The mode of administration is modified during the preparation of the dosage form. Following are some of the purposes the neo synephrine can be used for.
- It also has its role as a decongestant, and it is used as an alternative to pseudoephedrine.
- It also dilates the pupil, enabling the visualization of the retina.
- It is also used in priapism when given intravenously in corpora cavernosa. This will cause vasoconstriction in the penis, causing priapism.
- Intraocular bleeding can be stopped by giving an injection in the anterior chamber of the eye.
- It can increase blood pressure in patients because of the vasoconstriction effect on the blood vessels.
- It is used to treat hypotension because of anesthesia.
Neo synephrine nasal
Neo synephrine nasal can be used to treat nasal decongestion that a patient may experience in allergic rhinitis, hay fever, and even in the common cold. This medication is available in nasal spray, so it should be only used within the nose. To use this medication, you need to follow the given below directions
- You should blow your nose before applying this medication so maximum drug absorption can happen.
- Place your finger on one of your nostrils in which you are not spraying your medication. Repeat the same with another nostril as well.
- Make sure you are inhaling in a while, spraying your neo synephrine nasal spray.
- Even after giving the medication, sniff one or two more times to ensure maximum inhalation of neo synephrine nasal.
- Make sure after application you are rinsing the spray tip with hot water.
This is how you should be taking neo synephrine nasal.
Neo synephrine ophthalmic
Neo synephrine ophthalmic solution is also available, which means it should be used in the eyes. This preparation is not used for one purpose alone as an ophthalmic preparation. Still, even in this form, it has various uses. Following is some of the purposes neo synephrine ophthalmic preparations used for
- It is used in pupil dilation and vasoconstriction. The 10 percent ophthalmic solution causes vasoconstriction in the capillary bed to decrease the intraocular pressure. With pupil dilation, the retina will have a more visualization effect. Since this solution will cause stinging, the anesthetic cream or solution may also be used along with it.
- In glaucoma, the intraocular pressure due to vasoconstriction in the intraocular region can decrease the intraocular pressure helping with glaucoma. Due to this, the visual of the person may be improved, and temporary relief to glaucoma is provided.
- The neo-synephrine 2.5 percent ophthalmic solution is used in the eye’s refraction, which can be used along with other similar agents.
- For intraocular surgery, pupil dilation is necessary, and that is achieved with the neo synephrine ophthalmic preparation. The neo synephrine 2.5 percent ophthalmic solution is given to the patient 30 to 60 minutes before surgery.
- Uveitis in the synechiae can be prevented with the use of neo synephrine 10 percent ophthalmic solution in one drop of this solution in the cornea is given.
Side effects of neo-synephrine
Just like any other drug, there are some of the side effects of neo-synephrine. Most of the neo-synephrine dosage types are available over the counter except the prescription concentrations used for vasoconstriction and treatment of glaucoma. Because it is so readily available, all the side effects should be known to everyone. Following are some of the side effects that may appear with the use of neo-synephrine
- The neo-synephrine ophthalmic preparation can cause a stinging sensation and irritation in the eyes.
- Nausea, sweating, and nervousness are some of the general side effects of neo-synephrine.
- Neo-synephrine may also interact with the beta-blocker and monoamine oxidase inhibitors because the synergistic effect can ruin the patient’s condition even further.
- It is better to tell you, the doctor, your complete medical history, including all the multivitamins and herbal medications you are taking.
- If you are planning pregnancy, you must talk to your doctor about the safety during pregnancy of this medication. This medication may also pass to your breast milk, and its use during lactation should be discussed in detail with your doctor.
- The neo-synephrine nasal formulation may cause a runny nose or dryness of nasal passage.
Neo-synephrine drops per ml for hypotension shock
Neo-synephrine IV is given in the hypotension shock. A continuous infusion is given to the patient by adding 10mg of drug in 500 ml of dextrose water solution. The infusion is started rapidly to maintain blood pressure instantly at the rate of 100 to 180 drops per minute considering there are 20 drops per ml. after that, the rate is decreased to 40 to 60 drops per minute considering there are 20 drops per ml of solution.
This was all you needed to know about all the dosage forms of neo-synephrine. Each dosage form has its side effects and uses. So, it is important to know what you know about your dosage form regarding the problem you are using your medication for.