Hallux Limitus is a condition of the stiff toe. Knowing what medical condition you are going through is very important to have it treated as soon as possible. Sometimes when you don’t get it clinically checked, the condition can advance too, and it can cause your more pain and discomfort.
Usually, people ignore their minor problems, and sooner they have bigger problems at hand. So, you need to get a regular checkup along with the minor medical conditions addressed by your doctor.
Hallux Limitus may seem like a minor problem, but it can affect you a lot. The Hallux Limitus is a condition in which you can’t move your toe past a certain point, and if you try to do so, it can cause you pain. Suppose you have such a condition where you have pain in your toe. In that case, it can restrict many of your movements, and that is why it is very important to see a relative doctor for it.
The hallux metatarsophalangeal joint is the joint that connects the base of your big toe to the first upper bone of your foot, and the two bones below that bone are also part of this joint. So, the main problem that happens in hallux Limitus is in this joint.
What happens in Hallux Limitus?
When you are aware of facing a problem with your hallux metatarsophalangeal joint, it will cause you to have limited movement of your joint. Due to the limited motion of your joints, you are unable to move around and carry weight. This is very distressing for belle dancers who have to dance on their tippy-toes. This can also be very distressing while standing on your toes to reach something at a height. Along with swelling, there can be inflammation on your joint as well. You will be able to move your toe but only to a very little extent.
If you don’t have it treated on time, then it can worsen to a condition known as Hallux rigidus. In hallux rigidus, you can’t move your big toe at all, which is even more painful than this condition.
Causes of Hallux Limitus
Many different things can eventually lead to Hallux Limitus. From all these causes, some of the causes can be avoided. So, knowing all the causes, you will know what you need to steer clear of.
- Overuse of your joint can result in injury and cause your joint to have only limited movements. The overuse includes the activities in which your toes use a lot and certain sports as well.
- If you are not wearing the right size of shoes or the wrong fit of your shoe, it can lead to this. The toe remains entrapped in a certain bent position, and that can lead to Hallux Limitus.
- People who have rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis can often end up developing Hallux Limitus. They will have problems all over the joints.
- Every person has a different feet anatomy. In some groups of people, their feet anatomy causes them to walk differently. A walk where there is more pressure on your toe joint can lead to hallux Limitus.
An injury can also cause the development of Hallux Limitus or hallux rigidus. The injury is usually in the joint when such pain or discomfort starts with your toe movement.
What can Hallux Limitus lead to
Hallux Limitus can lead to other medical problems as well if not addressed on time. Apart from Hallux Rigidus following are some of the things that can result from Hallux Limitus.
- Calluses can be formed on the bottom of your foot joint due to increased pressure.
- When your bone tries to repair itself, it can cause the formation of bone spurs.
- Bony lumps, also known as bunions, can form on the top of your feet.
- You can start to feel numbness or tingling in your toe because of pressure or injury to the nerve passing through. This numbness and tingling happen in all of your feet.
- If you don’t get it treated on time, it can evolve into a much worse situation known as hallux Rigidus. The result of all of that could lead to surgery.
Treatment of Hallux Limitus
After a diagnosis of your condition, the doctor will see how far it has gotten worse and draw a treatment plan for it. Following are the treatment options that will be provided to you.
- The patient will be advised to rest, ice on the joint, compress it a bit with compression bandages, and keep the foot elevated.
- In some cases, stretching of the toe can help, but that is done only with your doctor’s advice.
- OTC pads are available that can be placed inside your shoe to ease the pain.
- Orthotics or such shoes are available that make it possible for the patient to keep the pressure off of the big toe.
- The doctor prescribes anti-inflammatory medications to reduce the pain and inflammation in your joint less.
- Surgery is the last resolve when any other method isn’t working out, and the pain is advancing as well. The joint is then repaired or fixed.
How to prevent Hallux Limitus
Prevention is better than going through the pain of this condition. Following are all the things that can help you prevent hallux Limitus.
- Wearing shoes that fit properly in your feet and are not causing too much pressure on your big toe will help you prevent it. Such habit will not only prevent this condition but many other feet muscle and bone problems as well.
- Overuse of your feet, especially in activities involving much movement of your toe, should be avoided. There are certain things that you can avoid, but you can definitely limit them. It can save you from months of pain and distress. You won’t be able to do your favorite activities then, so it is better to limit them instead of risking it all.
Hallux Limitus is a very distressing condition and makes it impossible for you to move around. Hence, treatment and precaution are very necessary. You can’t know precautions without understanding the causes of that disease. So, it is better to learn all about Hallux Limitus.
Your article helped me a lot, thanks for the information. I also like your blog theme, can you tell me how you did it?