Banophen is usually given to treat hay fever, common cold, and allergy symptoms. It is an antihistamine used to alleviate itchy eyes, watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing, cough, and rash. Our body produces histamines during allergies and colds, which causes symptoms like watery eyes and a runny nose. Banophen blocks the release of this substance in your body to provide relief. Those who have motion sickness can also take this medicine as it also helps in treating nausea, vomiting, and dizziness. Here is everything you need to know about this medicine.
This medicine is available in three forms tablet, capsule, and syrup. If you are taking a banophen 25mg capsule, then you can take it simply with water. However, if your stomach gets upset, your doctor will prescribe you to take medicine with food.
If you are taking medicine in the form of a tablet, then check whether it is a chewable tablet or a rapidly dissolving tablet. Let the rapidly dissolving tablet dissolve completely on your tongue and then swallow it. If you are taking the chewable form of the tablet, then chew it thoroughly before swallowing to get full benefits from the medicine.
For the syrup, you have to use a measuring cup or spoon. Do not use household spoons for measuring medicine as the size of these spoons is not standard. Instead, use a standard measuring cup or spoon to get the right dose.
If you are taking banophen 25 mg motion sickness, then take this medicine 30 minutes before traveling. Also, to get relief from cold or allergy symptoms, to have a proper sleep, take this medicine 30 minutes before going to bed.
Never forget to read the label of the medicine before using it. Always take the dose prescribed by your doctor. If you do not get relief from the medicine even after two weeks, then consult your doctor.
Interaction With Other Medicines
Banophen can interact with different medicines and change the effectiveness of these medicines. So it is mandatory to inform your doctor about all the medicines that you are taking. The best way is to make a complete list of all the prescribed, non-prescribed, and herbal medicines you take and share it with your doctor.
- Inform your doctor if you are taking any medicines that cause drowsiness. Read the label of all the medicines that you are taking. Check if any medicines contain an ingredient that causes drowsiness. Medicines that can cause drowsiness are muscle relaxants, opioid pain relievers, alcohol, and other antihistamines.
- If you use a cream or ointment containing antihistamines, inform your doctor as banophen can interact with such creams.
Keep taking other medicines that you are taking with banophen 25 mg capsule. However, notify your doctor first if you want to change the dose or stop taking any medicine.
If you are going for a laboratory test, inform the laboratory personnel first. This medicine can change the laboratory results.
Possible Side effects
Here are possible side effects that can occur after taking banophen 25 mg.
- The common side effects caused by this medicine are dizziness, constipation, dryness of the nasal area, drowsiness, and stomachache. These side effects go away with time. However, if any side effects do not go away or worsen, seek medical assistance as soon as possible.
- If you notice any serious side effects like difficulty in urination, confusion, restlessness, and irregular heartbeat, stop taking medicine and contact your doctor.
- Severe allergic reactions after taking medicine can occur, which is rare. The symptoms of serious allergic reaction are swelling, rash, itchiness, difficulty in breathing, and severe drowsiness.
If you are feeling uncomfortable due to dry mouth, which is caused by medicine, then you can treat it by chewing sugarless gum and drinking enough water. Keep in mind that your doctor prescribed you this medicine as the benefits of banophen are more than its side effects.
The best way to avoid any serious side effects by banophen 25mg capsule is to inform your doctor if you are allergic to it or about your medical history. Discuss in detail with your doctor as there are some inactive ingredients in the medicine. Here are some precautionary measures that you must consider before taking medicine.
- Inform your doctor if you have a medical history of breathing problems, stomach problems, high blood pressure, heart problems, liver disease, difficulty in urinating, and glaucoma.
- If you have surgery, then inform your doctor first.
- This medicine can make you dizzy and make your vision blurry. Limit your alcohol and marijuana consumption while taking this medicine, as it can make you dizzier and make your vision blurrier.
- Do not drive or operate any machinery until you think you are completely fine.
- Chewable tablets or liquid products may contain aspartame or sugar. The liquid form of this medicine also contains alcohol. Ask your doctor first if you have any liver disease, diabetes, or PKU where you cannot take sugar or alcohol.
- Avoid giving this medicine to a child younger than six years as it is not safe to use. In addition, children are at high risk of any side effects.
- Pregnant women should not take this medicine unless it is required. In addition, breastfeeding women should not take banophen 25 mg as it passes into milk which can cause harm to a nursing baby.
Other Things To Know
In case of an overdose of banophen, seek medical help without any delay. The symptoms of overdose are widened pupils, seizures, trouble in breathing, and passing out. Go for regular checkups to keep track. If you miss a dose of the medicine, then take it as soon as you remember it. If the time of the next dose is near, then skip the previous one. Store the medicine at room temperature in a dry place.
Never start a new medicine without asking your doctor first. Follow the instructions and dosage given by your doctor. If you notice something out of the routine, then stop taking medicine and contact your doctor.