MSIR has been in use as a pain relief for decades. Most people deal with pain in their daily life, and that is the reason doctors prescribe it. Most people need it after small surgeries as it is used to cure both acute and chronic pain. But morphine has some serious side effects like dependency. These side effects are considered if a person has other health problems. Morphine helps the brain release a neurotransmitter named dopamine, stopping the pain signals and relieving feelings. Here is everything you need to know about morphine.
Types Of Morphine
There are two types in which morphine is available. One is an oral form, and the other is an injectable form. Your doctor will decide which form is more suitable for you.
Oral morphine is further divided into two forms. One is an immediate-release form, and the other is a long-acting form. Again your doctor will decide which form of oral morphine is best for you. Here are some of the factors that your doctor will take into account:
- The level and the type of pain you are dealing with.
- What is your age?
- Your history about the usage of morphine.
- If you are taking any other medicines.
- If you have other health problems like kidney problems, heart problems, and lung problems.
- If you have any sensitivity to morphine.
Injectable morphine is in the form of a solution. Injectable morphine is always administered in the presence of your doctor as it has more risks than oral morphine. Doctors are advised to tell you about all those risks. It can be injected in different ways like:
- Injected subcutaneous.
- Injected intramuscular.
- Injected intravenous.
Despite having some serious side effects, doctors prescribe it as it provides relief for the pain immediately. There are two types of side effects based on the period for which the morphine is taken.
Short Term Side Effects
These are the side effects that appear when you start taking morphine. These side effects are common, but if you feel that there is something uncommon, you should immediately consult your doctor. Here are some common side effects that occur when you start taking morphine.
- A person might have nausea, vomiting, and constipation.
- Itching on the body.
- A person might face a loss of appetite.
- It can lead to lower body temperature or slow breathing.
- A person might face difficulty in urinating and weakness.
- Dizziness feeling when a person stands up.
- It can also lead to erectile dysfunction and sleepiness.
- It can also cause nervousness and confusion.
Long Term Side Effects
Due to its serious side effects, morphine has never been the first choice of doctors. Suppose a person uses morphine for a long time. In that case, there are high chances that he will develop some hormonal, GI tract, and immune system disorders. Here are some of the side effects of using MSIR for a long time.
- Long-term use of morphine can lead to chronic constipation, poor appetite, and reflux.
- It can also lead to weight loss, bloating, dry mouth, and stomach pain.
- Increased blood pressure and disturbing menstruation cycle.
- It can also lead to osteoporosis and increases the risk of immune-related problems.
- Long-term use of morphine can also lead to sexual dysfunction.
Other Side Effects
Other side effects are caused after the morphine are discussed here.
- If you use morphine for a long time, then there are high chances that your body will develop tolerance against it. You need a high dose to get relief from the same level of pain in such a case.
- Morphine is an opioid, and if your body develops tolerance against morphine, you can use another opioid to get the relief. But ask your doctor to prescribe as he will tell you the right dose.
- One of the major side effects of MSIR is morphine dependency. If your body becomes used to morphine, then you cannot function properly without taking morphine.
- A person might develop an opioid disorder. As after using morphine, a person has strong feelings. To increase these feelings, some people start taking morphine in a large amount. Such people develop an addiction to this medicine.
When To See Your Doctor
If you develop any of the mentioned below symptoms, then go to your doctor immediately
- The side effects are so severe that you cannot continue to use the medicine.
- Even after taking medicine, there is no relief in your pain.
- You notice some rash on your body or itching.
- You feel difficulty in breathing.
- If you notice any swelling of your throat, tongue, and face.
Treatment Of The Side Effects
The most problematic side effect of morphine is constipation. Due to these side effects, most people stop taking this medicine. Here are the ways through which constipation can be treated.
- Increase the fiber in your diet, or you can also take fiber supplements.
- Do exercise regularly.
- Increase the number of fluids you take in your daily routine.
- You can also take laxatives, but it is not a permanent solution.
- Your doctor might prescribe you some medicine like naloxegol that blocks the opioid receptors in your gut and prevents constipation.
It is best to be careful when you start taking medicine. Avoid standing up suddenly and do not do any task that requires concentration.
Overdose Of Morphine
The overdose of the MSIR can be fatal. The people who have higher chances of overdosing are older, people who have malfunctioning kidney or liver, emphysema, people who have sleep apnea, or people who are using drugs that increase morphine.
Suppose there is a person who is showing morphine overdose symptoms. In that case, you should immediately call the ambulance and try to keep the patient awake. Here are the signs of morphine overdose.
- The person is Unresponsive.
- Increased fatigue.
- The person is feeling difficulty in breathing.
Wrapping It Up
As mentioned above, serious problems can occur if morphine is not taken under the doctor’s supervision. You must consult your doctor if you want to change the dose or want to stop taking this medicine