Your doctor will prescribe your diphenhydramine citrate if you have any cold, allergy, and hay fever symptoms. Diphenhydramine citrate will also help you to fall asleep. The good thing about this medicine is that it is non-habit-forming. This medicine is also suitable for those who have motion sickness and experience nausea, vomiting, and dizziness during traveling. But here is everything you need to know about diphenhydramine citrate before using it.
Uses Of Diphenhydramine Citrate
Diphenhydramine citrate is very effective for the symptoms like itchy eyes, runny nose, cough, and sneezing. It reduces symptoms like runny noses and watery eyes by blocking a chemical produced by our body.
Follow the instructions of your doctor properly. If you are self-medicating, then follow the instructions that come with the medicine. Take the exact amount your doctor prescribed you to take. Your doctor will prescribe you the medication by keeping different factors in mind, like age, symptoms, and your other medical condition. Diphenhydramine citrate comes in four forms tablet, chewable, liquid, and dissolvable.
If you are taking medicine in the form of a tablet, you can take it with a full glass of water. If you are taking medication in liquid, use the measuring spoon or cup that comes with the medicine. If you use another spoon, then you may take less than the required dose.
If you are taking medicine in the dissolvable form, keep it on the tongue until it is completely dissolved. If you take the medication in chewable form, you should swallow it until it is thoroughly chewed. Follow all the mentioned above instructions for the effectiveness of the medicine.
If you are going to take medicine for motion sickness, you should take it 30 minutes before traveling. If you are going to take medication for sleep, you should take it 30 minutes before bed.
The Interaction Of Diphenhydramine Citrus With Other Medicines
Here are some of the products that interact with diphenhydramine citrus.
- Inform your doctor if you are taking any medicine that induces sleepiness. These include opioids, pain relievers, cough relievers, marijuana, alcohol, muscle relaxants, and other sleep inducers.
- The other medicine that can interact with this drug is antihistamines. Especially those antihistamines that are used on the skin like cream, spray, or ointment.
- You should carefully read the labels of all the medicines that you are taking. There are chances that these medicines can contain components that cause drowsiness. Even after that, you have any doubt, and then you can also ask your pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking this medicine as it can affect your lab tests. It might change your lab test completely, especially the skin allergy test.
Notify your doctor about any medicine you are taking. To avoid any problem, make a list of all the medicines you take and give them to your doctor. Then your doctor will decide whether you should take this medicine or not.
What Are The Precautions You Should Take While Taking Diphenhydramine Citrus?
If you are allergic to diphenhydramine, then inform your doctor about it. Also, mention if you have an allergy to any medicine. There are some inactive components in the drug which can cause allergic reactions. Also, tell your doctor about your complete medical history.
- Tell your doctor if you have any breathing problems like asthma and emphysema.
- If you have eye disease such as glaucoma.
- If you have heart disease.
- If you deal with high blood pressure.
- Inform your doctor if you have any liver disease.
- Notify your doctor if you have seizures.
- Notify your doctor if you have any stomach problems.
- Inform your doctor if you have hyperthyroidism and difficulty in urinating.
Diphenhydramine citrus can cause dizziness, or it can also make your vision blur. Do not drive or use any machinery if you are taking this medicine. Wait until you think that you can safely drive or operate any machinery. Consuming alcohol and cannabis while taking diphenhydramine citrus can make you dizzier. Try to limit the consumption of alcohol and cannabis while taking this medicine. Do not forget to inform your doctor about your consumption of alcohol or cannabis.
Do not give this medicine to your child without the doctor’s consultation. This medicine has adverse effects on children. This type of medicine is not suitable for children under 12 or 6. It can cause restlessness, hallucination, and irritability in children. Never give this medicine to your children to induce sleep. Avoid giving any medicine that contains the same or similar salt.
Side Effects Of Diphenhydramine Citrus
Here are some of the side effects that can occur after taking diphenhydramine citrus.
- It causes drowsiness.
- It causes dizziness.
- It can lead to constipation.
- A person might have an upset stomach after taking medicine.
- Diphenhydramine citrus can also cause blurred vision. It can also lead to dry mouth or dry throat.
Your doctor will ask you to chew a hard candy or drink water to cure dry mouth or dry throat. If you experience any severe side effects like mental changes or seizures, then stop taking medicine or consult your doctor as soon as possible. Keep in mind that your doctor prescribed you this medicine for a reason. There is no doubt that the benefits of this medicine are more than the side effects.
What Happens If A Person Overdose The Medicine?
There is a reason that you should consult your doctor before taking medicine and follow his prescription strictly. If you overdose on the drug, then you can experience it.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- A person might lose consciousness.
- It can also cause extreme drowsiness and dizziness.
- It can also lead to widened pupils.
If you are taking this medicine, then go to your doctor regularly. If you miss a dose, there is nothing to worry about as you can take medicine when you remember it. If the time of the next dose is near, then skip the dose instead of taking a double dose. Discard the medicine properly and store it at room temperature in a dry place.
Follow the instruction and prescriptions of your doctor keenly to avoid any problem. Do not use any medicine without asking your doctor.