Donepezil is a medication that is used in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. Most of the medications are given to delay the progression of the disease and don’t remove the root cause of the disease. Alzheimer’s is one such disease in which you will need the medication to slow down the progression of the disease and improve the person’s memory.
Alzheimer’s disease is a neurogenerative disease that starts very slowly but progresses aggressively. Initially, a person starts to face problems like remembering recent events. Most of the cases have dementia problems, and it then proceeds to mood swings and loss of motivation. The person becomes disoriented and eventually stops recognizing people close to them. This could only result in death. Alzheimer’s is a hereditary problem, so if you have early signs of it, you should see a doctor.
Donepezil is a medication that is prescribed for Alzheimer’s patients. This medicine is given to that patients to treat confusion in the patients. Use of this medication for any other similar medication is only limited to control and improve some of the symptoms of this disease or slow down the progression. People with Alzheimer’s can live quite long if diagnosed earlier, and medication has been in use consecutively.
Uses of donepezil
As we know that donepezil is used in the treatment of Alzheimer’s. But following are some of the uses of this medication in these diseases. This medication won’t help you reverse the disease but can only slow down the progression.
- This helps in the improvement of the memory of that person.
- This medication will also help with the confusion associated with Alzheimer’s well.
- It improved the awareness of the patient.
- Overall, the patient’s ability to function normally will improve with the use of the medication.
This medication works by blocking a specific enzyme in the nervous system. As a result, the breakdown of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter, will also stop. The exact mechanism of how this medication works is still unknown. However, by far, this mechanism shows why the ability to person function properly results with the help of this medication.
How to use donepezil
It is very important to know how to use a particular medication. Even though the use of donepezil will be guided to you by the pharmacist and even your doctor. But still, it is important to know a few things about how to use this medication properly.
- The first thing you need to know is that you should read the leaflet given with the medication. This leaflet will be provided to you when you purchase this medicine for the first time and at every refill. After reading that leaflet, if you still have some queries about this medication, you can ask your pharmacist about it.
- Since this medication is available as an oral solid dosage form, you have to take it by mouth; you can take this medication either with food or without food as well.
- You have to take this medication at night, but if you feel any trouble regarding your sleep, you should consult your doctor. Most people cannot take this medication at night because they start to suffer from insomnia. Medication is switched top morning time then.
- This medication starts at low doses with any nausea and other similar problems. The disease will be increased gradually by your doctor over months. You have to take this medication on time daily for your medicating to work.
- Initially, the medicine is given to check your response to this medication, so it is important to go for the follow-ups. This is important because if the medication is not working for you, it can be switched to another medication by your doctor.
- If you have accidentally skipped this medication for seven days in a row, then you need to contact your doctor before trying this medication on your own. It is better to get permission from your doctor before starting this medication on your own.
- This medication should be used regularly to get the most out of it. Skipping doses will only deteriorate your condition even more, and this medication won’t help you as well.
- Usually, patients are given the medicine of 23-milligram strength. These tablets should not be crushed, chewed, or split. Try to swallow this tablet as a whole.
Following these directions is very important, and you need to stay informed about every aspect of your medication.
Just like many medications, donepezil also has some side effects as well. Staying aware of the side effects of medication is important so that you will know when to contact your medical practitioner. Following are some of the side effects of this medication.
- You can have severe stomach problems like severe pain in the stomach, black stools, and vomit which looks like coffee ground. Eventually patent can also start having seizures.
- Trouble in urination is also one of the side effects of this medication.
- You can experience a change in your heartbeat with the use of this medication as well. A patient might even faint.
- Allergic reactions are rare but can happen with this medication. So, watch out for any previous similar allergies. You can get a rash, swelling in your tongue, and trouble breathing.
- Nausea and diarrhea are also associated with it, but if they persist, then you should contact a doctor for this. You can experience weight loss and muscle cramps due to this medication too.
This was everything that you need to know about donepezil. This medication is often prescribed to people with Alzheimer’s because of its benefits. The side effects of this medication are severe but quite rare, and most people don’t face any trouble using donepezil. But you should watch out for these side effects, and if you feel these side effects are worsening by the time you need medical attention for it. You have to be careful while taking this medication, but this medicine becomes a necessity in some cases.