DOK 100mg is used as a stool softener. Commonly it is given to treat infrequent constipation. DOK works by increasing the water absorbed by the stool in the gut, making the stool soft and easy to pass. Some medicines can cause constipation, and to initially treat constipation, your doctor will prescribe you this medicine. After a heart attack or surgery, DOK is also given to the patients to prevent constipation and straining due to bowel movement. Here is everything you need to know about this medicine.
This medicine comes in three forms tablet, syrup, and drops. There will be a patient label given with the drug to know how to use the medication properly. Most likely, your doctor will also give instructions related to the medicine.
If the medicine is in tablet form, then you should take it at bedtime. Take it with a full glass of water. You can also take it with juice or milk. Avoid lying down right after taking medicine. If you develop diarrhea after taking medication, then stop taking medicine and consult your doctor. Take the dose your doctor prescribed you as your doctor prescribed you the dose based on your response to the drug and your condition.
Avoid crushing, chew, or split the capsule unless there is a split mark or your doctor asks you to do so. Swallow the whole tablet.
This medicine also comes in the form of syrup. Shake the bottle before using. It would be best if you used a standard measuring spoon to take medication. The household spoons are not of standard size sometimes, and you will not get the proper dose.
If you take medicine in drops form, then use the dropper to get the right medication. You can also use a proper measuring spoon to measure the right dose.
This medicine is usually bitter in taste. If you are taking the medication in liquid form, you can mix it with juice or milk. Never use this medicine without the prescription of your doctor.
It takes some time for the medicine to work, so wait for 1 to 3 days. Do not use DOK 100mg for more than a week and if your condition does not get better or get worse, contact your doctor. The overuse of the medicine prescribed can cause serious medical issues.
Dru interactions are significant to consider while taking any medicine. A drug interaction can change the effect of the medicine on the body. A drug interaction can also increase the risk of side effects.
The best way to avoid any drug interaction is to make a complete list of all the medicines you are taking. Discuss in detail all the medication with your doctor. Make sure to mention prescription, non-prescription, and herbal drugs in the list you make.
Keep in mind that your doctor prescribed you this medicine by considering the other drug and dosage. Do not change the dose or stop taking any medication without the consultation of your doctor.
All the drugs that can interact with DOK 100mg cannot be listed here, but some drugs are mentioned below.
- Drugs containing phenolphthalein.
- Mineral oils.
Here are some side effects DOK 100mg.
- Common side effects of using DOK are diarrhea, irritated throat, cramping, and headache. These symptoms usually go away with time. If you notice that these symptoms persist or get worse after some then immediately contact your doctor.
- Severe allergic reaction to this medicine is rare but contact your doctor as soon as possible if it occurs. Severe allergic reaction symptoms include itching, severe dizziness, rash, swelling of throat or tongue, and trouble breathing.
- A rare side effect is that rectal bleeding can also occur after taking medicine. If you notice this symptom, stop taking medication and seek medical assistance immediately.
- All the possible side effects are not mentioned here. The body of every person responds to the medicine differently. Contact your doctor right away if you notice anything unusual.
Here are some of the precautions you should take before using or while taking medicine.
Notify your doctor if you have any allergies. There are also some inactive ingredients in this medicine. Discuss in detail with your doctor the components of the medicine to avoid any inconvenience.
If you have any symptoms like abdominal pain, vomiting, and nausea with constipation, inform your doctor before taking medicine.
Pregnant women should not take this medicine on their own. Consult your doctor first and take DOK only when needed. There is no research about whether this medicine passes into breast milk or not, so ask your doctor first.
- Do not take this medicine if you have intestinal blockage.
- If you have abdominal pain for more than two weeks, get it checked by your doctor before taking medicine.
- Do not take medicine if you are on a low salt diet.
- Do not take this medicine if you notice any changes in your bowel movements in the past few days. Ask your doctor first.
- This medicine should not be given to children under six years. Consult a doctor first before giving this medicine to your children.
- Do not take this medicine if you are already using any stool softeners or laxatives. Do not forget to inform your doctor.
Do not share your medication or your prescription with anyone, even if they have the same symptoms. Never use any laxatives for a longer time as your body can become laxatives dependent. You can prevent constipation.
- By taking a high fiber diet.
- Consuming extra fluids.
- Exercising daily.
If you miss a dose of the medicine, then take it as soon as you remember it. If the time of the next dose is near, then skip the previous dose to avoid overdosage.
If you have overdosed on the medicine, then seek medical assistance as soon as possible. The symptoms of overdosing include nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain.
Always use this medicine with the consultation of your doctor. Follow the instructions and the dosage prescribed by your doctor.