Cytotec plays an important role in the prevention of stomach ulcers. Stomach ulcers can be really bad, causing you much pain, and you might also not be able to eat anything with these stomach ulcers. When stomach ulcers often result when a person has been taking too many NSAIDs. So what can be done in such cases is that you have to prevent stomach ulcers at all. Because if you develop stomach ulcers, it will interfere with your medicine intake as well.
As you already know that Cytotec prevents stomach ulcers. Hence, it’s important to know how it does that Cytotec is the medication with the active drug by the name of misoprostol. Misoprostol is the synthetic prostaglandin E1 analog. This medicine works by protecting the linings of your stomach to doge the harmful effects of NSAIDs like aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen.
There is another thing that that this medication is used in, and that is the abortion process. This is one of the off labels used by Cytotec. But it should only be done with the advice of your doctor. Misoprostol is used with another drug known as mifepristone to end the pregnancy.
Directions on use of Cytotec
Since Cytotec is used for you complete different purposes so there should be a proper guide on using this medication. This is a very important medicine that should be avoided in certain conditions at all. That is why it is important to get information on this medication. Following is the list of directions for the use of Cytotec
- First of all, you should start reading the leaflet, which usually contains all the information regarding a medicine. This leaflet is provided to you by a pharmacist or is present within the packaging sometimes.
- When taking this medicate for abortion purposes, you should only tame it when advised by the doctor. You have to take this medication orally for that purpose.
- The dosage of the medicine will vary based on the condition this medication is prescribed to you.
- When you are using this medication to reduce acidity ad prevent ulcers in your stomach, you should take it by mouth. This medication is then used four times a day after each of your meals. And you also have to take it before you sleep so that you can avoid diarrhea.
- Sometimes this medication is also used to start the labor. In that circumstance, this medicine I inserted into your body through your vagina. The healthcare professional themselves does this, and after getting it inserted in a while, the labor will be induced.
- Some patients are also taking the antacids that contain magnesium, which shouldn’t be taken when you are taking misoprostol. This can make diarrhea induced by it even worse.
- When you take misoprostol to prevent the ulcers caused by NSAIDs, you should continue to take it for as long as you are taking NSAIDs.
All these directions should be followed well while using the medicate. Unfortunately, even after using it for some time, the condition isn’t getting any better, so you should visit your doctor again.
Side effects if Cytotec
Cytotec has many side effects, which are quite common with other medicines and are not that harmful. Therefore, you can continue to take this medicine with these side effects unless the condition persists for too long.
- You can experience nausea and cramps with the use of Cytotec, but if they persist for too long, then you should inform your doctor.
- Misoprostol may also end up causing you diarrhea. Diarrhea can happen after two weeks of you taking medicine. Diarrhea caused by the use of misoprostol usually lasts for about a week. In that time, you should make sure that you are taking enough water and electrolytes to keep your body hydrated and full of nutrients. If you are expressing signs of dehydration like dizziness, weakness, decreased urination, etc. then you should inform your doctor as soon as possible
- Allergic reactions to this drug are quite uncommon. However, you should seek immediate medical attention if you start to get rash, itching, or other severe symptoms. Serious side effects after an allergic reaction include dizziness, swelling of the tongue or throat, and trouble breathing. Such a case should be instantly reported.
- You can also experience excessive vaginal bleeding or menstrual problems; if anything like that happens, inform your doctor.
There are some precautions that you need to take with the use of Cytotec.
- You have to inform your doctor about your allergies; even if you are not allergic to misoprostol, you can be allergic to any one of the excipients in the medication.
- Along with taking this medicine, you should also limit tobacco and alcohol use; daily use of these things can increase the risk of gastric bleeding in you.
- Since this medicine can cause abortion, you should inform your doctor about your pregnancy when prescribed this medicine for stomach ulcers.
- When taking this medicine with another combination to end the pregnancy, you have to be monitored closely by a healthcare professional because an unfinished abortion might happen. Vaginal bleeding during this is normal but inform your doctor right away if you see any signs of infection or prolonged bleeding.
These are some of the ways you can avoid the adverse effects of taking Cytotec.
Cytotec is a complicated medicine and should be used only with a doctor’s advice, no matter what purpose you want to use it for. It should be used with care while trying to end a pregnancy, and this should never be done unless advised to you by a doctor. If this method is not safe for you, you will be provided the option of other methods and procedures. Make sure you are well informed before taking this medicine or any medicine. This was all you needed to know about Cytotec for now. Make sure you are using this medicine with your doctor’s advice.