Everything is given in this guide, whether you want to know about colestipol’s side effects or its uses. Those who are dealing with high cholesterol level in their blood is given this medicine. Colestipol helps in lowering the blood cholesterol level if you adopt a healthy lifestyle. For example, your doctor will advise you to take a proper diet, exercise regularly, and lose some weight if you are overweight.
Colestipol causes the liver to make bile acid in the body. This bile acid is made by using cholesterol in the blood. Then the bile acid is removed from the body. Here is everything you need to know about colestipol.
What Are The Uses?
Do not take this medication on your own. Your doctor will prescribe you the dose of the medicine based on your condition. For example, to reduce colestipol’s side effects, your doctor might give you a small dose of the medicine at the start. Then your doctor will increase the dose of the medicine slowly.
This medicine can decrease the absorption of other medicines. Therefore, your doctor will ask you to take all other medicines 1 hour before taking colestipol or take other medicines 4 to 6 hours after taking colestipol.
Usually, your doctor will prescribe you to take only one tablet in a single day. But in severe cases, doctors also prescribe taking two tablets in a single. You cannot take both tablets at the same time. Instead, take tablets at different times.
Take this medicine with a full glass of water, or you can also take juice but try to consume as much fluid as you can. Swallow the whole tablet and do not break, crush, or chew it. If you cannot swallow the whole tablet, consult your doctor; he might recommend your tablet with a split mark.
Take this medicine regularly as prescribed by your doctor. Only this way can you see the desired results. On average, you will start to see the results after one month of using this medicine.
Interaction of medicine with other medicines can increase the risk of side effects or decrease the effectiveness of a medicine. To avoid any drug interaction, you must inform your doctor about all the medicines you are taking. Make a complete list of all the prescription, non-prescription, and herbal medicines you are taking and share it with your doctor.
If you are taking colestipol with other medicines, then do not change any of your medication routines. Do not change the dose or stop taking any medicine without asking your doctor. There is a possibility that your doctor is closely monitoring you. If you change any dose, then there are chances of a high risk of colestipol side effects.
Here are some medicines with which colestipol can interact.
- Blood thinners.
Keep in mind that all the possible drug interactions are not mentioned here. For further information, you can discuss it with your doctor in detail.
What Are The Side Effects?
Here are some of the possible colestipol side effects.
- The most common side effects of colestipol are stomach ache, vomiting, gas, constipation, nausea, and abdominal pain. These symptoms usually go away with time. However, if you notice that these symptoms are persistent or getting worse, immediately contact your doctor.
- The occurrence of serious side effects after taking this medicine is rare, but it can occur. The symptoms of serious side effects are severe pain in the stomach and abdomen, rapid breathing, unusual bleeding, difficulty swallowing, chest pain, and confusion.
- The occurrence of a serious allergic reaction after taking medicine is also rare. The allergic reaction symptoms are itching, rash, swelling of tongue/throat/face, difficulty in breathing, and severe dizziness.
Suppose you face constipation issues after taking this medicine. In that case, your doctor will ask you to take as many fluids and fibers as you can. In severe cases, your doctor might prescribe you a laxative.
Keep in mind that your doctor prescribed you this medicine by keeping all the possible side effects in mind. So indeed, the benefit of the medicines is more than the risk of side effects.
All the possible side effects are not mentioned here. However, if you notice anything unusual after taking this medicine, then immediately contact your doctor.
Here are some precautions that you can take to avoid any serious side effects.
- If you have any allergies, then you must inform your doctor first before taking this medicine. Or, if you are allergic to any components of the medicine, then notify your doctor. Some inactive ingredients in the medicine can cause an allergic reaction. Discuss with your doctor in detail to avoid any inconvenience.
- Suppose you have the following health problems like kidney problems, swallowing problems, hemorrhoids, and constipation. In that case, you must inform your doctor.
- Colestipol can decrease the absorption of certain nutrients in your body, which can lead to different deficiencies. Therefore, there is a possibility that your doctor will ask you to take multi-vitamins while you are taking this medicine.
- Before undergoing any surgery, do not forget to notify your doctor if you are taking this medicine.
- Older people are at high risk of the constipation side effect of this medicine.
- This medicine should not be taken in pregnancy as it affects the absorption of nutrients. It should only be taken when highly required.
- This medicine does not pass into breast milk, but as mentioned above, it can affect the absorption of certain nutrients.
Go for medical tests to check the effectiveness of the medicine
Overdose & Missed Dose
In case of overdose, seek medical assistance as soon as possible. The symptoms of overdose are unconsciousness, severe stomach pain, and trouble breathing.
If you miss a dose of the medicine, then take it as soon as you remember it. However, if the time of the other dose is near, then skip the previous dose.
In A Nutshell
Follow the prescription and instructions of your doctor. In case of any serious side effects, stop taking medicine and go to a nearby hospital. Never share your prescription with anyone, even if the other person has the same symptoms as yours.