Arthrotec is an NSAID that is given to arthritis patients. It helps reduce the arthritis symptoms like swelling, pain, and stiffness of the joints. Arthrotec can irritate the stomach, so it is given with a combination of Misoprostol. This way, it reduces the risk of stomach ulcers and the complications caused by the ulcers. If you are taking this medicine for chronic arthritis, you should ask your doctor to give an alternative medicine or prescribe you non-drug treatment. Here is everything you need to know about this medicine.
Always read the label that comes with the medicine before taking medicine. If you have any ambiguities, you must ask your pharmacist or doctor to avoid any problems. Your doctor will prescribe you to take medicine orally with a full glass of water. Do not lie down right after taking medicine. At least wait for 10 minutes before lying down.
Your doctor will ask you to take medicine with food to avoid any stomach problems. But avoid taking any antacid while you are taking medicine. Antacid can cause serious stomach problems like severe diarrhea. If you have to take the antacid, then first consult your doctor so that he can give the suitable antiacid.
You have to swallow the tablet whole. Do not chew or break the tablet. Follow the instruction of the doctor carefully to avoid any serious side effects. The medicine is safe to use when you take the lowest effective dose of the medicine for a short period.
If your condition does not get better or get worse after taking medicine, then immediately go to your doctor.
The interaction of one medicine with other medications can affect the effectiveness of the medicine. It can increase the chances of side effects or decrease the effectiveness of the medicine. To avoid any interaction, inform your doctor about all the medicines you are taking. Make a complete list of all the medicines that must include the prescription, non-prescription, and herbals you are taking and share it with your doctor.
The products that can interact with the medicine are aliskiren, lithium, ACE inhibitors, corticosteroids, ACE inhibitors, water pills, cidofovir, methotrexate, and angiotensin 2 receptor blockers.
This medicine can also increase the risk of bleeding if taken with other medicines that cause bleeding. For example, anti-platelet medicines and blood thinners.
Always keep in mind that never change the dose of Arthrotec or any other medicine you are taking with this medicine without the consultation of your doctor. Do not stop taking any medicine or start a new medicine without asking your doctor.
Here are the side effects of Arthrotec.
- The most common side effects after taking medicine are diarrhea, upset stomach, drowsiness, dizziness, pain in the stomach, gas, nausea, and heartburn. These symptoms usually go away with time. If you notice that your symptoms are not getting better or getting worse with time, they immediately go to your doctor.
- This medicine can also raise your blood pressure. To avoid any serious problem, keep a proper check on your blood pressure regularly.
- Diarrhea is one of the most common symptoms of this medicine. But if diarrhea does not get better or worse, it can cause dehydration. The symptoms of dehydration are dizziness, dry mouth, and a fast heartbeat.
- Any liver problems after taking medicine are very rare, but they can occur. The symptoms are loss of appetite, yellowing of the skin, liver damage, dark urine, pain in the stomach, and nausea.
- Side effects like menstrual problems, difficulty in swallowing, unexplained tiredness, mood changes, sudden weight gain, easy bruising, hearing changes, heavy vaginal bleeding, and symptoms of heart failure can occur after taking medicine.
- Serious side effects like seizures, symptoms of kidney problems, and stiff neck can also occur after taking this medicine. Stop taking medicine immediately and see your doctor quickly.
- A serious allergic reaction can also occur after taking medicine, but it is very rare. The allergic reaction symptoms are fever, severe dizziness, swollen lymph nodes, itching, rash, swelling, and trouble breathing.
All the possible side effects after taking this medicine are not mentioned here. If you notice anything unusual while taking medicine, consult your doctor immediately.
Inform your doctor first if you are allergic to Arthrotec or misoprostol. If you have any other allergies, you must notify your doctor to avoid any inconvenience. Some inactive ingredients in the medicine, too, can cause allergic reactions later.
Inform your doctor about your complete medical histories, like if you have liver disease, high blood pressure, aspirin-sensitive asthma, stomach problems, heart disease, bleeding problems, growth in the nose, stroke, blood disorders, and swelling.
Diclofenac can also cause kidney problems. The major cause of kidney failure is dehydration. Consume plenty of water when you are taking this medicine to avoid dehydration.
This drug can also make you drowsy and dizzy, so do not drive a car or operate any machinery while you are on the medicine. If you consume alcohol with this medicine, it can increase drowsiness and dizziness.
This medicine can also increase sun sensitivity. Cover your body as much as possible and use sunscreen when going outside to avoid any problems. If you develop blisters or rash after going into the sun, notify your doctor immediately.
Overdose & Missed Dose
Seek medical assistance in case of overdose. The symptoms of overdose are severe stomach pain, diarrhea that gets worse with time, slow breathing, seizure, trouble in breathing, severe drowsiness, and passing out.
If you miss the dose of the medicine, then take it as soon as you remember it; if the time of the next dose is near, then skin the previous dose to avoid overdose. Take medicine at the same time daily to help yourself to remember it.
Keep in mind that your doctor prescribed you this medicine by considering all the factors, so follow his instructions. This medicine can affect your lab tests, so inform your doctor before taking any test. Never share your prescription with anyone.